Nevada State Horizontal Gold and Black Logo

Undergraduate Academic Renewal Policy (AE 20)

OWNER: Office of the Registrar
Phone: 702-992-2110
CATEGORY: Admissions and Enrollment
Web – Formatted (this page)



Under certain circumstances, undergraduate students may petition the Office of the Registrar for Academic Renewal. Eligible students may have a maximum of two (2) consecutive semesters of coursework disregarded. This calculation does not affect Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) calculations required for financial aid eligibility.


Academic Renewal: Process by which a student may have eligible unsatisfactory coursework removed from all calculations regarding academic standing, grade point average (GPA), and graduation eligibility.


I. Eligibility

Eligibility for Academic Renewal is subject to the following conditions:

A. The student’s overall or NSC cumulative GPA is below 2.0;
B. The student has completed all necessary credits and all major, core curriculum, and college graduation requirements;
C. At the time the petition is filed, at least five (5) calendar years must have elapsed since the most recent coursework to be disregarded was completed.

II. Requirements for Academic Renewal

Students must file a petition with the Office of the Registrar to apply for Academic Renewal. The student’s filed petition shall specify the semester(s) or term(s) to be disregarded. If more than one semester or term is to be disregarded, the semester(s)/term(s) must be consecutive. If summer work is to be included in the disregarded coursework, a six-week summer term shall count as one-half semester.

If the petition qualifies under this policy, the student’s permanent academic record will be suitably marked to indicate that no work taken during the disregarded semester(s), even if satisfactory, may apply toward graduation requirements. However, all coursework will remain on the student’s academic record, ensuring a true and accurate academic history.
Academic Renewal can only be applied prior to graduation with the first earned undergraduate degree. After a student graduates, Academic Renewal cannot be retroactively applied.


Petition form available from Office of the Registrar.


Replaces policy published in the 2022-2023 undergraduate catalog.


Approved by Dr. Vickie Shields, Provost, July 5, 2022.
Approved by Dr. DeRionne Pollard, President, January 31, 2023.