Nevada State Horizontal Gold and Black Logo

School Of Education Student Teaching Application

In This Section

Applications for Student Teaching are accepted twice each year. All application materials must be received no later than the application deadlines below. The application process is completed online. Please read the information below and click on the link provided at the end to access the online application.

Fall semester admission:

Spring semester admission:

March 15

September 15

Student Teaching Application

Eligibility Requirements

1. Completion of all courses in official degree plan.

2. Have a minimum overall GPA of 2.5 or better.

3. Acceptance into the School of Education, Teacher Preparation Program.

4. *Effective beginning with the Fall 2025 student teaching application process. Praxis CORE or CBEST exams (including Reading, Writing, and Math) verification must be provided with student teaching application. These do not have to be passing scores; however, we do need verification of at least the attempt to pass all three sub-sections of the required exam.

This verification can be by simply including Nevada State University as a score recipient when you sign up to take the Praxis Core exam. Or a copy of the student report for either the Praxis Core or CBEST exams uploaded into the application process. 




Advisor Review

Make an appointment with your School of Education Advisor to discuss eligibility and coursework needed before student teaching. Take a copy of the “Advisor Review” form to the appointment.  Ask your advisor to complete and sign the form. Attach this form to your student teaching application, it is due at the time of submission.

Praxis Subject Assessment

Students must either have their Praxis Assessment scores on file with Nevada State University OR students must submit the Praxis Assessment Acknowledgement form. One of these are due at the time of application submission. Click here

Passing Praxis Subject Assessments scores are required for permanent licensure by the Nevada Department of Education (NDE). However, you are able to apply for a provisional teaching license without completion of the Praxis Assessment exams. You will be given a two-year provisional period to pass these exams and provide passing scores to the NDE and then be granted a permanent license. To ensure fulfillment of licensure requirements, students are strongly encouraged to take the test(s) prior to completing your degree. Information regarding exam dates, registration and testing sites for the Praxis Subject Assessments can be found online at


Please use this document to determine the exams you need to complete for your licensure area: Praxis Assessment

FBI Fingerprint Documentation

All prospective student teachers must be fingerprinted and complete the CCSD Volunteer application process.  You will need to email a copy of a current volunteer badge to the School of Education (Sally Starkweather) as directed for your application period.

NOTE: Students DO NOT complete this task prior to submitting their application. Once the student teaching application has been submitted, the applicant will be contacted via email with further instructions regarding completion of the CCSD Volunteer application process.

Liability Insurance Documentation

Proof of possession of $1 Million in liability Insurance from either the Nevada State Education Association (NSEA) Membership. Proof of insurance is required. Nevada State University requires all student teachers to have liability insurance in order to be eligible for placement. 

The NSEA membership application  can be found online  at: (SELECT THE ASPIRING EDUCATOR OPTION)

For FALL student teaching applications, the insurance is due June 15th.

For SPRING student teaching applications, the insurance is due September 15th

SUBSITUTE TEACHING LICENSE (Optional for southern Nevada students, but recommended) REQUIRED for all northern Nevada Students

The (NDE) application process can be found at:


If you choose this option, a copy of your valid substitute-teaching license is required with your application.

Click the link below for some answers to frequently asked questions about the substitute-teaching license:


*Students who do not possess a Substitute Teaching License and are offered a position at their student teaching site may not be able to begin permanent employment with the CCSD immediately.

Graduation Application

Initiate graduation application with the NSU Registrar’s Office. For more information:

Your graduation application should have been submitted one year prior to the anticipated student teaching semester. If you have not submitted the graduation application yet, please do so ASAP.


Program Contact

Sally Starkweather

School of Education Special Program Advisor